Search This Blog

Friday 22 December 2017

Global Landscapes Forum at Bonn: A Gratifying Attendance


International forums and conferences are not only a great opportunity for the scientists and researchers to present their works but also an important platform for the students and general public who are keen to learn new things, discuss over the ideas and issues with experts and to establish network with like-minded people. I first attended an international congress in 2014 at home and it gave me all the reasons why I should attend more in the years to come. It was the 14tInternational Society of Ethnobiology (ISE) congress organized by Ugyen Wangchuck Institute of Conservation and Environment based in Bumthang and I had the privilege to participate in it taking an important role. I was co-leading pre-congress workshop for "Mountain Indigenous Peoples" and later had an oral presentation on Monpas during the congress, the proceeding of which is published in an European online journal. It was also a great opportunity for me to meet new people, make new friends, have lots of fun and most importantly, learn something new. Later on in 2016, I had a chance to attend Third Asian Ministerial Conference on Tiger Conservation at Delhi, a reward to my field work in the field of tiger conservation in my own little ways. Each conference gives you some ideas to take back (many I forget), which I can later incorporate in my works. As such to attend on such forum is really a great privilege. 
GLF2017Bonn Plenary in Session. source: GLF

Global Landscapes Forum is in Bonn on 19-20th December 2018. I knew about this event quite a long time before when I was browsing for some Landscape related information being a Landscape Ecology student. I figured out that youths are planning to be part of the great even through Youth in Landscape Initiatives and had already formed a facebook group. They were two steps ahead of me, but I am glad I raced behind them and got into the group. And later, 100 free tickets were offered for students for which we were required to submit our interests statement. I did my part and I was glad, I got a ticket, which took me to the city of Bonn through yet exciting travel story. 

Me and my colleague from Greifswald Uni

Two days through the event, I should say it was one of the best memories of my stay in Germany (I wish the best of the best do come though). It was a platform from where positive vision of what the world's landscapes can look like if we work together, emitted its rays. It was hard for me to decide which discussion forum to attend as three major sessions and many other side events run parallel. Themes were varied, though they have tear down the fences of landscapes to connect to our backyards. 


All in all, I have the feeling that the event in Bonn had a deep discourse on sustainable landuse through landscape restoration. This is particularly pertinent considering the fact reported in Global Land Outlook 2017 by UNCCD, that over 20% of the earths vegetated surfaces are persistently degrading in productivity. "Biodiversity loss and climate change further jeopardize the health and productivity of land. Over 1.3. billion people are trapped on degrading agricultural land." The report states. The discussion forums therefore had a good deliberation over various innovative ideas and plans to restore degraded landscapes with Land Degradation Neutrality (LDN) actions and Forest Landscape Restoration (FLR) prorgammes. Many of such programme are indeed already in action with success stories and current actions coming all the way from Indonesia and African nations. I am glad to have made several tweets taking some keynotes from the speakers. 

Here are some of my key tweets: 
"Productive forest Landscapes are essential for fulfilling basic needs of growing populations and providing global, national and local services: must be supplied like food." #ITTO
"Small scale farmers are true essence of rural communities, and they are the backbone of humanity. We have to build sustainable future through Land Degradation Neutral actions."  
"Sustainable landscapes are integral to achieving two goals of humanity: Ending poverty and Ensuring prosperity."
"Landscape, the single stone that kill three birds: Climate Change, Biodiversity Loss and Pollution"
"Man and biosphere can't be separated. That's all sustainability is about."  
"The future of humankind is decided first and foremost at rural areas."  

Calling for self consciousness rather prescribing people what has to be done, Sadhguru, if had a power to change one thing, then he said, it is humans. "Other than human, everything is in perfect condition." He said. He had been "planting trees in people's mind for over six years before he started to transplant them on land, to increase the green cover in India", in his rally to clean the rivers in India. I was deeply intrigued by his visions and inspirations and more than anything, glad to hear his real voice directly into my ears. I am at the verge of losing my youthfulness but was also amazed to see the energy and zeal in the youths of current era. They are innovative, informed, talented, enthusiastic to create rally and start movements for making this world a better place, the true actions which I have seen and heard while in Bonn.  

The event was attended in person by over 1000 person from 104 nations and probably I was the lone Bhutanese (since I didn't meet any Bhutanese during the event). But Global Landscape Forum is going to be held for another couple of years in Bonn with strong partnership between various organizations so there is only opportunity awaiting for those who are interested in attending the great event. For me, it was enriching and gratifying attendance and I look forward to attend again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment